Many say that exercise is the miracle cure we have always had and there is a lot of truth in it. Not only is it great for our bodies but it can help us boost our mood, quality of sleep and increase our tolerance to stress.
Some of us love sport but for some, it can be hard to get motivated or know where to begin. Here are some ideas of how you can build physical activity into your everyday life:
- Think about what you enjoy. Do you like walking in the outdoors? Would you prefer upbeat activities like Zumba or slower movement like pilates? Or are you up for trying something new? Choose something that suits you and your lifestyle and give it a go.
- Start Small. It takes time to build up our physical fitness. Give yourself time and set yourself realistic targets that will fit into your week. Try not to do too much at once or you may become disheartened and find it hard to continue.
- Music can help to motivate. You could put together a playlist of your favourite music to listen to while you exercise. You may choose to include faster rhythms for high intensity activities and instrumentals for activities such as yoga.
- Pair it with something you enjoy. If you enjoy photography, take a camera when you go hiking, so you can take some photos when you get to the top. Or you can listen to an audiobook while you exercise on the treadmill.
- Harness the power of technology. There are many free online exercise classes you can join, in the comfort of your own surroundings. For those working from home, you can now complete a workout during what would’ve been your commute to work.
- Work out your best time to exercise. If you’re an early riser, you could exercise in the morning or you may have more energy in the evening to get moving. If time is an issue, it may easier to fit in a few 15 minute bursts of activity during the day.
- Make it into a game. This works particularly well for families. Why not challenge the adult(s) versus the children or set up an obstacle course in the garden for everyone to complete.
- Make your chores count. Make your household work more useful by incorporating some extra moves. You can add squats while you pick up things from the floor or dance while you vacuum. Get creative!
Download our tips in a printable format:
You may also find the following online resources helpful:
Follow us on social media for more wellbeing tips: