Your Mental Health
Exploring relaxation can help you look after yourself when you’re feeling stressed or worried.
Have a look at these tips and ideas to see how relaxation can fit into your daily life.
1. Take a break
- Read a book or a magazine, even if it’s only for a few minutes.Run yourself a bath, watch a film, play with a pet or try out a new recipe.
2.Try Active Relaxation
- Take a walk, going at your own pace. You might choose to go for a longer walk, but even a few minutes of walking can help you feel relaxed.Look for a class you’d like to try, such as yoga, Pilates or gentle stretching.
3. Focus on Your Breathing
- Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Try to keep your shoulders down and relaxed, and place your hand on your stomach – it should rise as you breathe in and fall as you breathe out.Count as you breathe. Start by counting ‘one, two, three, four’ as you breathe in and ‘one, two, three, four’ as you breathe out. Try to work out what’s comfortable for you.
4. Spend Time in Nature
- Take a walk in the countryside or through a local park, taking time to notice trees, flowers, plants and animals you see on the way.
5. Listen to music
- Music can relax you, connect you to your emotions and distract you from worrying thoughts.Listen to your favourite songs. Turn up the volume and dance or sing along, or put your headphones on and close your eyes.Really listen to the music. Can you pick out different instruments? Can you hear a drum beat or a certain rhythm? Focus on the music, and let other thoughts fade away.
6. Picture yourself somewhere serene
- Even if you can’t physically get away, your imagination can transport you to somewhere you feel calm.Think of somewhere relaxing and peaceful. You might choose a memory of somewhere you’ve been, or a place you have imagined.Close your eyes, and think about the details of this place. What does it look like – what kind of colours and shapes can you see? Can you hear any sounds? Is it warm or cool? Let your mind drift and your body relax.
7. Do A Tech Check
- Technology is great but if we use it to much it can make us feel stressed.Try turning your phone off for an hour (or a whole day if you’re feeling brave).Step away from the TV, or have an evening where you don’t check emails or social networks. Use the time to do something relaxing – you could try some of the ideas above.